8 Things To Know Before Delivering for Amazon Flex
There are a lot of drivers who are always looking to work for another delivery service. Amazon Flex is one of the top choices for most delivery drivers due to their high base hourly pay. Tips are earned on top of base pay and this makes earnings on Amazon Flex higher than Lyft or Uber in some cities. Some drivers prefer delivery since they do not have to deal with people and drivers have more freedom during deliveries than rideshare. There are many benefits to do deliveries, but Amazon Flex has some unique properties that may deter potential drivers from signing up for Amazon Flex.
I have written extensively about Amazon Flex. Below are some posts that will help you learn more about Amazon Flex and see if Amazon Flex is right for you:
- How to Deliver Prime Now on Amazon Flex
- Everything You Need to Know About Amazon Flex Blocks
- How To Get Amazon Flex Blocks
- How Amazon Flex Block Grabber Scripts Works
- How to Deliver on a Restaurant Block for Amazon Flex
- How to Deliver Amazon Fresh
Below is a short list of items to know before signing up for Amazon Flex:
- It is very difficult to do Amazon Flex “full-time.” The lack of shifts is a major hurdle to be able to do this job for more than 30 hours a week.
- Amazon Flex works based on scheduled shifts on Amazon Flex called blocks. Amazon Flex drivers need to show up to specific locations at a given time to start your block. You need to manually find and accept Amazon Flex Blocks with the Amazon Flex driver app. These blocks can be hard to find due to high competition and the presence of automated scripts that accept blocks for some drivers. Automated block acceptance is not allowed by Amazon but still exists.
- The base pay is $18 per hour for logistics (no tips), and it is $18 per hour for Prime Now blocks (tips are in addition). It is also $18 per hour for Amazon Fresh blocks (tips are in addition). These base rates can go up if there is increased demand. Tips are finalized 24 hours after the conclusion of an Amazon Block. The Amazon Flex app will send you a push notification if rates are increased. Drivers are paid twice a week via direct deposit.
- Due to high demand, new Amazon Flex drivers may need to be on a waitlist before being able to join Amazon Flex. The waitlist could be a week or it could be month.
- You can use almost any vehicle (2 door, 4 door, vans, trucks) newer than 1998 to deliver for Amazon. An open flat-bed pickup truck is not recommended since packages will get wet from rain or snow.
- Some blocks will have you driving a lot and some blocks will have you driving very little. On average, it is similar to being on Lyft and Uber but income can be more consistent.
- There is a weekly hourly limit of 40 hours on Amazon Flex. This limit can be raised at any time to anything above 40 hours, but usually for the busy Christmas season. In Seattle, it was “limited” to 72 hours a week back in the winter of 2016 out of the 80 available hours during the week. Once you hit your limit, you won’t be able to see any more blocks for that week. The Amazon week is from Monday morning to Sunday night.
- Large Vehicles have access to special 5 hour blocks to deliver more packages. The requirement is 41 cubic feet of storage space.
If you are still interested in signing up for Amazon Flex, go to the below link to get the Amazon Flex driver app
Overall, I still like doing Amazon Flex. It can be difficult to schedule Amazon Flex blocks since I usually pick up the blocks the same day. It would be nice to be able to schedule blocks for an entire week so I know what my schedule will be like. Amazon Flex is good for fitting into your schedule but not necessarily plan your schedule around since it varies so much day to day. I also consider it good to supplement your income with and not something to depend on.Have more questions about Uber or Lyft? Head on over to our Rideshare Driver Training Course! Driver Promotions
- New Uber Drivers will get up to a $800 bonus after signing up: Sign up for Uber.
- New Lyft Drivers will get up to $800 if you sign up here using this link.