Lyft Updates $500 Signup Bonus in August, $5000 in LA
Lyft’s $5000 bonus (yes, five thousand) is back for a limited time! Last time, the bonus was only up for a week before they changed the bonus back to $500 so sign up today! It went live this morning. The ride requirement is 1000 in 90 days, so you will need to do about 330 a month. This may be hard to achieve and may require working over 40 hours a week for three months. Figure about 2.5 trips an hour (including Lyft Line), you would be able to finish to bonus with a few weeks to spare. I would only encourage full time drivers to attempt this. It is very tiring to be driving 40+ hours week in and week out. However, you would net about $10,000 (before Lyft fees) in that period of time, and get a $5000 bonus on top of that. You could be earning about $5000 a month, including your bonus. You can always sign up now and then think about going through with it. The 90 day timer doesn’t start until you become an active driver.
To sign up with Lyft for the above signup bonus, you can use my referral link here to sign up for Lyft!
Lyft has also changed the bonuses in many cities in the past two weeks. They had a huge $2000 bonus in Los Angeles and San Diego back in June, but both came with a 500 ride requirement in 60 days, which can be tough to achieve even for full time drivers. The most active drivers I have seen average about 100 trips a week over 40-50 hours a week but this is usually in very busy cities like Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
I was working almost nonstop this time last year to get a different $1000 bonus after 50 trips and we only had a week to do it with snow on the ground. You can read more about it here: How I earned $1750 after 50 Lyfts in 21 Hours across 3 days. If I did 50 trips after working my full time job on two weeknights and a full weekday after flying back to Boston on a redeye, anyone can do the required number of rides on just weekends alone (3 weekend days for 50 trips, 6 days for 100 trips). I have to comment that I didn’t drive on any rideshare service for the next two weeks because I was still recovering, so I wouldn’t recommend this strategy long term.
If I can get 50 trips between Monday morning and Wednesday night with six feet of snow everywhere, you can definitely do 50 or 100 trips in 30 days. Realistically, that is only 3 trips a day and I used to do about 6 trips on weeknights in addition to working all night Friday and all night Saturday. However, 250 in a month (for two months) is quite a stretch more than this and I would guess many drivers who signup for it won’t make it, unless they are already driving full time as a taxi driver or for Uber.
These bonuses were much a bit higher just a month ago. Lyft seems to be adjusting them based on their need for drivers in various cities. I would expect the signup bonuses on Uber to be similar to that of Lyft. You can see a short list of Uber’s referral bonuses in this post.
Here is the list of cities with $500 bonus:
- San Francisco
- San Diego
- Silicon Valley
The bonus in New York City is $400
The bonus in Denver is $350
How do I sign up?
To sign up for Lyft with a signup bonus, you can use my referral link here to sign up for Lyft!
Here is the list of changes from two weeks ago. The changes went live this morning:
- Boston: from $200 to $500
- Columbus: from $10 to $100
- Denver: from $150 to $300
- Indianapolis: from $50 to $100
- Los Angelse: from $100 to $5000 (1000 rides in 90 days)
- New York City: from $150 to $400
- Portland: from $125 to $250
- Tucson: from $10 to $100
How do I sign up?
To sign up for the above bonuses, you can use my referral link here to sign up for Lyft!
How to earn another $500 from Uber
You can also sign up for Uber and get $500 bonus from them as well! (Bonus varies by city so email your local Uber office to verify your signup bonus)
Here are the requirements:
- Be an active Lyft driver
- Have a car 2001 or newer (It may be different in some markets).
- Complete only 25 trips on Uber within 30 days of activation with Uber
- Be a noncommercial driver (such as uberX)
- Provide Uber with the most recent pay statement confirming their Lyft experience
You can sign up for Uber and get up to $500 with this form. I would recommend you sign up for Lyft, get approved, and then sign up for Uber afterwards.
Complete Lyft Bonus List:
This list is of the current Lyft signup bonuses as of this posting:
|City of New Driver||New Driver Bonus Amount||Ride Requirement in 30 days|
|New York City||$400||100|
**Rides required must occur within a 90 day period.
Note that you don’t need to be an Uber driver to sign up for these promotions so you can be a brand new driver before signing up for this offer. This is a great way to get started with Lyft and try it out for 30 Lyfts. If you don’t like it, simply quit after doing the required Lyfts and getting your signup bonus.
Terms of the promotion:
The referred new driver must:
- Start their application to become a Lyft driver during the promotion.
- Input the referring driver’s referral code in the “Referral code” field when originally applying.
- Complete 30 rides within 30 days of being approved as a Lyft driver, unless stated otherwise in the chart above. No more than two rides with the same passenger will count toward the ride requirement.
- Lyft driver eligibility and approval is determined at the sole discretion of Lyft, and is not guaranteed.
- The duration of the review process may vary.
- Participation in this promotion is subject to Lyft’s Terms of Service.
- This promotion runs for a limited time only, and terms and bonus amounts (if any) are subject to change. Cannot be combined with Weekly Guarantee Promotion or New Driver Promotion.
- The bonus amount (if any) is determined by the time and market of the referred new driver’s application, and can vary (for both applicant and referrer) by market. The amounts above reflect current bonus availability and may have been different at the time of the referral and new driver application.
- If an applicant has an existing application, they are only eligible for the referral amount, if any, associated with that original application, and they are not eligible for any other referral amount.
- In Boston, Denver, New York City, Nashville, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. this promotion is limited to the first 1,000 applicants. In Chicago, this promotion is limited to the first 2,000 applicants. In Dallas, this promotion is limited to the first 500 applicants.
Once these requirements are met, the referred new driver will see the bonus 1-2 direct deposits after the ride requirement is met. The referring passenger will see the credits in their Lyft account 1-2 weeks after their referral’s ride requirement is met.
How Do I Sign Up?
To sign up, you can use my referral link here to sign up for Lyft!
[Note, I will also receive the bonus for you to sign up and complete the trips. If you prefer to help out a friend, you can ask anyone you know who is a Lyft driver to sign up with their code and you both can get the same bonus.]
What if I am already a driver?
Well do you know anyone who isn’t driving on Lyft yet? Refer them to drive on Lyft with your own referral code and you and your friend can earn the bonus! It is that easy. Also, you would know if your friend would still continue to drive on Lyft or not so definitely pick people you know that would get the Lyfts done but maybe quit afterwards so you can get your bonus and not risk increasing the driver pool. I have done this a few times myself and none of my personal referrals are still driving in Boston so we both got our bonus but didn’t further dilute the driver pool.Have more questions about Uber or Lyft? Head on over to our Rideshare Driver Training Course! Driver Promotions