Uber Complete International Fare Cost Analysis June 2016
I collected the fare data from all of Uber’s 259 international cities (cities outside of the United States) and put them into one giant spreadsheet. You can find the full list on a Google Spreadsheet I set up:
Uber International Fare Cost June 2016
I will be periodically downloading the fares and looking at changes to the fares and services across all of the cities. I started doing this last year, but I didn’t have the time to develop the algorithm to help me organize all the data. I worked on it for about a month last year and simply just gave up due to formatting issues. I took a second crack at it this week and implemented some more code to get me over the hump. The script isn’t perfect, so it takes me about an hour to manually check each entry to make sure there isn’t any deviations.
Here are some notable things I learned about Uber’s services across the world:
- There are a few more levels of service in some cities. There are two lower tiers than UberX.
- The most common is called UberGo (India), UberPop (Europe) or People’s Uber in China. From my limited experience with UberPop in Europe, they seem to be the equivalent to UberX in the US where they are simply personal cars without the proper livery plates and insurance. This level of service is often serviced by a 4 door car, but usually smaller than the ones on UberX (think Toyota Corolla for UberPop, vs Toyota Camry for UberX). I am unsure about the type of insurance coverage, but I would assume they do not carry livery insurance.
- The lowest tier that is available in a few countries is called UberMoto, which is hitching a ride on the back of a scooter or motorcycle. It is the main mode of transportation in some cities so it can be a cost effective way to travel with the convenience of an app.
- Uber lowered fares in about 40 cities out of the 130 just in the last four months. Uber also changed/added services and surprisingly increased fares in a bunch of cities last year. This was mostly linked to adding a lower tier (UberGo, UberPOP, etc) and then raising prices on UberX.
- One Uber city was priced in dollars instead of the local currency (Beirut). I found it extremely weird.
- Last year in May, Uber was only in about 145 cities outside the United States. Today, that number is 259 cities. They only have about 32 cities in China so there is a long way to go before they can catch up to the local competition (Didi).
- The average trip cost across 259 cities based on a 13 minute, 5km trip is $4.46. In the US, that number is $6.51 (for a 13 minute, 3 mile trip).
- All sample trip fares are calculated based on a 13 minute, 5km trip. Average trip distances may vary from city to city, but I think this sample trip length and time is a good representation of an average trip on Uber. Average trip distances may vary from city to city, but I think this sample trip length and time is a good representation of an average trip on Uber.
- The most expensive cities to catch an Uber is in northern Europe. A 13 minute, 5km trip in Stockholm costs a whopping $18 USD. It is primarily influenced by the local currency and the local pricing levels. The most expensive 25 Uber cities list is below.
- The 25 cities with the lowest Uber fares are mostly in India. There are two cities in Indonesia and Chengdu in China (#3). Uber is only in 27 cities in India, and 22 of them are part of the cheapest 25 cities. This is mainly driven by currency exchange rates and local pricing.
- UberXL can be more expensive than UberBlack in many cities that has UberXL. The requirements for UberBlack may be a bit lower than in the US. It would be comparing a ride in a luxury sedan (BMW 3 series) compared to riding in a minivan with 6 passengers.
- In a few cities, the only choice is UberTaxi. It is the Uber app requesting a local taxi.
- In a handful of cities, UberBlack is the lowest tier of service.
- As stated above, Uber is in 32 cities in China and 27 in India. Surprisingly, they are in 16 cities in Columbia, 13 in Australia, and 11 in Brazil and Russia. The full list is below.
Top 10 Countries for Uber (next to US)
Cheapest 25 cities to catch an Uber Ride:
|Rank||City||Sample Trip||Sample Trip|
Most Expensive 25 Uber Cities:
|Rank||Sample Trip||Sample Trip|
dHave more questions about Uber or Lyft? Head on over to our Rideshare Driver Training Course! Driver Promotions
- New Uber Drivers will get up to a $800 bonus after signing up: Sign up for Uber.
- New Lyft Drivers will get up to $800 if you sign up here using this link.