Comparing Uber, Lyft and Sidecar NYE Driver Promotions
I received a text message from Uber last night:
Their promotion was $50/hr from 12am-3am. Drivers in other markets got a lower offer and I am unsure what the hours are for other cities. Feel free to list your offer in your city in the comments.
Two nights ago, both Lyft and Sidecar emailed their drivers about the NYE promotion they have.
Here was the one I received from Sidecar:
Here is the list of incentives I received from Lyft.
- Earn Up to 400% PT on NYE
- Wednesday night will bring record-high demand, and we want to make sure you’re rewarded for being on the road. For NYE, earn up to 400% Prime Time (that’s 5x the usual amount).
- Guaranteed Prime Time for NYE
- Don’t forget! Prime Time has a guaranteed minimum in select areas this NYE from 7-10 p.m. and again from 1-3 a.m. Get the details in our local guide to maximizing your earnings. Find your guarantee ≫ (This was posted on the community Lyft page last week).
- Power Driver Bonus Extended, Peak Hours Shift for NYE
- To give you an extra cushion after the holidays, we’re extending the Power Driver Bonus program through January. The holiday gives you another opportunity to reach the 30-hour mark – just pay close attention to peak hours, which have changed to accommodate New Year’s Eve. See Peak hours below:
If you are in a city that has both Sidecar and Lyft and you are in one of the Lyft cities that has guaranteed 50% PT, the Sidecar offer is almost the same as Lyft. Sidecar is charging no commission and giving 25% bonus only if you exceed 5 hours, 7 rides and $120 in fares.
Lyft is guaranteeing 50% PT, so it is similar to Sidecar’s offer, but it doesn’t have as strict requirements as Lyft. Sidecar, you need to drive at least 5 hours on NYE whereas Lyft has no such requirement as the bonus is on every ride.
Uber offer is pretty good for after midnight as it is $50/hr. Even at $40/hr, it would be similar to that of Lyft. The hours and offer amount may be different in your city so check with other drivers in your city.
Throughout the night, evaluate which one has higher surge or PT and go with that. If Lyft has 50% PT in your city, make sure to only go with Uber if its 1.5x or higher. Overall, I think Lyft has a better guarantee with Uber being second only during the times of their guarantee. I think Sidecar will be a distant third unless you plan on working for more than five hours on NYE. There is always the risk that you won’t have enough rides on Sidecar in some of their smaller markets.Have more questions about Uber or Lyft? Head on over to our Rideshare Driver Training Course! Driver Promotions
- New Uber Drivers will get up to a $800 bonus after signing up: Sign up for Uber.
- New Lyft Drivers will get up to $800 if you sign up here using this link.