Sidecar Joins Uber and Lyft with $1 RideSafe Fee
Just a few hours ago, I received an email that Sidecar will be instituting a $1 RideSafe fee onto every Sidecar ride. This won’t affect drivers very much but it will be charged directly to the passengers. I am not at all surprised by this announcement as both Lyft and Uber have their own safety fee. Uber is at $1 whereas Lyft is at $1.50, and both services have additional fees depending on the market, such as Chicago or Seattle.
As a bit of background, the Safe Ride Fees for Uber, Sidecar, and Lyft are for rideshare services and does not apply to professional black car services with livery plates such as UberBlack and UberSUV.
Have more questions about Uber or Lyft? Head on over to our Rideshare Driver Training Course! Driver Promotions
As you may have noticed, we’ve been up to lots of new and exciting things. The only downside is that the costs of running Sidecar have significantly increased, mostly driven by new regulations and an industry-leading insurance policy for our drivers.
To help offset those costs, starting tonight at midnight Pacific time, we will be charging riders a $1 RideSafe fee on top of every ride.
This fee will be charged directly to the rider, and Sidecar will use 100% of it to offset insurance and regulatory charges (please note: drivers will not be taking commission from this charge — all of it will go to cover the above expenses). By doing this, we will be able to reinvest the rest of the money we make on each ride towards things that matter to you, such as:
- Investment in marketing to get you more riders and more appealing bonus incentives
- Continued investment in support to ensure you always get your questions answered in a timely manner, and to reduce driver downtime
- Partnering with regulators will enable us operate legally in more areas and grow the demand for rides (like we did with SFO)
Thank you for being such an important part of the Sidecar community. We look forward to building the future of Sidecar with you.
Sidecar Co-Founder and CEO
- New Uber Drivers will get up to a $800 bonus after signing up: Sign up for Uber.
- New Lyft Drivers will get up to $800 if you sign up here using this link.