Inside Uber Worldwide Ice Cream Promotion
Here is how the promotion worked for drivers in Boston (amounts and bonus may vary by city):
- Drivers are guaranteed $20/hr ($16/hr after commission) during the hours of the promotion if the sign up for it.
- I have heard of UberX and Uber Black drivers being eligible for this special event. Ice cream trucks also took part in the promotion.
- During the promotion, all they can do is sell ice cream. They cannot accept passenger requests. I would think their phone is specifically enabled to take part in the ice cream promotion.
- Cars are specially outfitted with some light blue flags and stickers on the cars. The drivers are also wearing special shirts as well. Jamison over at Points Summary took a few pictures:
- Before the promotion, certain drivers were sent an email about a certain promotion that day. They would not say what it was but you had to sign an NDA at the office.
- An hour before the promotion starts, they would meet up at a discount store (BJs, Costco, etc) to pick up their coolers and ice cream with some ice.
- See below this post for the cost of the ice cream for the customer
- For the driver, they were compensated only 20% of the sales. In Boston, you can buy only in $25 increments. Either way its $25, whether you buy 1 or up to 5 so it was prudent you bought 5. I have heard of some people buying more than just 5 (say 10 or 15). So at the end, it was $5 per delivery, unless the buy more than just one set of ice creams.
- After the promotion, driver can keep the cooler.
I spoke with a few other drivers, both UberX and Uber Black, and some had a good day but some didn’t sell many ice creams at all. At least drivers had a guarantee of $20/hr.
Uber ran this promotion in 2013 as well: http://blog.uber.com/2012/07/11/omgubericecream/
- It was only in Boston, Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, and Washington DC
- The #omgubericecream promotion was done with actual ice cream trucks.
- Each package of ice cream was only $12 for 5 pieces.
- Each customer would get some Uber swag, depending on the city.
Below you’ll find a copy of the blog post from Uber about the worldwide promotion, including the cost in each city and if the city had a special type of ice cream:
No matter where you are in the world, nothing captures the sweetness of a sunny afternoon better than ice cream. Friday, July 18th, we’re serving up cold treats on demand in 144 cities, in 38 countries, on 6 continents.
The Inside Scoop
- Ice Cream will be available on Friday, July 18th.
- To request, choose the Ice Cream option in the app. If a vehicle is available, you’ll be enjoying your desserts in minutes.
- No cash needed—your order will be billed to your Uber account.
Demand will be very high and availability limited.
Be a part of the #UberIceCream community worldwide—share your refreshing experience on Twitter and Instagram!
The Uber Team